Sunday, January 20, 2019

Virginia Army Agency



Wandering through some old newspapers over at the Library of Congress's "Chronicling America" website while half-watching the NFL games today, I happened across a couple of advertisements for the Virginia Army Agency. I had never heard of this particular soldier aid organization before.

The ads appeared in the October 1, 1864 issue of the Richmond Daily Dispatch. The top notice describes the location of the organization and its primary purpose. It appears as if they served Virginia soldiers exclusively. 


Apparently this particular soldier aid service was busy enough to need extra help and posted an additional notice to hire two slaves to assist them.

I searched on the internet to see if I could find more information about the Virginia Army Agency, but struck out. If anyone knows where I can learn more about this organization, I would be happy to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, I sent you an e-mail which I think may help you with this.

    ReplyDelete