Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Keemo Kimo


"Keemo Kimo"
George Christy and Woods'
Celebrated Banjo Song
[about 1854]

In South Caralina de darkies go,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
Dat's whar de white folks plant de tow,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Cover de groud all over wid smoke,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
And, up de darkies heads dey poke,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Chorus:
Keemo Ki-mo, Dar! oh whar?
Wid my hi, my ho, and in come Sally singing
Somtimes penny winkle, lingtum, nip-cat
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Milk in de dairy nine days old,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
Frogs and de skeeters getting might bold,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Dey try to sleep but it ain't no use,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
Dere legs hang out for de chickens to roost,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Chorus:
Keemo Ki-mo, Dar! oh whar?
Wid my hi, my ho, and in come Sally singing
Somtimes penny winkle, lingtum, nip-cat
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Dar was a frog lived in a pool,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
Sure he was de biggest fool,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

For he could dance and he could sing.
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!
And make de woods a-round him ring,
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Chorus:
Keemo Ki-mo, Dar! oh whar?
Wid my hi, my ho, and in come Sally singing
Somtimes penny winkle, lingtum, nip-cat
Sing song Kitty can't you ki-me oh!

Here's the 2nd South Carolina String Band version.

Image courtesy of the Library of Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment