Friday, January 6, 2012

Just Finished Reading



This is yet another book that I have had on the shelf for quite a while. I'm glad I finally pulled it off and got a chance to read it. Burton does a good job of explaining the evolution of democracy and society in the 1830 to 1900 time period. His writing style is very easy to read. However, I did not appreciate the way the he noted the work. The bibliographic essay unfortunately does not tell me specifically where the author took his evidence (primary and secondary sources) to make his claims. That style referencing in one sense seems lazy, but on the other hand it seems like lot of work to put the bibliography into the essay format. Why not just use footnotes or end notes?

On a 1 to 5 scale, I give it a 3.75.

No comments:

Post a Comment