Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Petersburg's Monument to Joseph Jenkins Roberts


Since I spent the day at work on Sunday doing some training, I had today off to run some errands and do a little more sight seeing in downtown Petersburg. Along with visiting a number of antique stores, I took several pictures of the town's incredible historic buildings. I was happy to some historic homes in various stages of restoration work.

While wandering through the city's streets I stumbled upon the monument pictured above at the corner of Wythe Street and Union Street. As can be seen it is dedicated to one-time Petersburg resident, and later two-time president of Libera, Joseph Jenkins Roberts.

One of my early posts on "Random Thoughts" was about Roberts, so I won't recover old territory, but I thought it would be neat to show the monument.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim I am a self acclaimed history nerd. I recently moved to the central VA. region and would like to get more historical facts about Petersburg, Chester, and Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something to learn around seemingly every corner. Some of the most amazing pieces of history, though are those you have to dig for. Happy learning!

    ReplyDelete