Thursday, December 30, 2021

Good Bye to the Old, and Hello to the New


This time of year often encourages me to stop and think about they year quickly passing away, and the one coming on the horizon. Looking back, there is so much to be thankful for. I am happy that I am gainfully employed in an occupation that I am passionate about and that provides for my needs. I am fortunate to be married to a beautiful, loving, and encouraging wife, who is a true blessing to my existence. I am thankful that I have a sufficient amount of free time and resources to do things like read for pleasure, write posts for this blog, and pursue other history-related initiatives that benefits my desire for learning, and as well as that of others.

I am fortunate that I was born and live in a society where I can have and do these things. Of course, by studying history, one doesn't have to look too far back to understand that not everyone in the past had the chances that most people do today. Imagine having the above image as your primary line of sight for a long 15 or 16 hour day, five and a half or six days a week, receiving no pay, and only the most basic of food, clothing and shelter necessities met, just because you happened to be born into a certain condition of no choosing of your own.  

It sounds cliché, but take a little time to count your blessings. But, this New Year Day, take it a step further, and take action . . . whatever you determine that to be, and make some type of positive contribution. Volunteer somewhere that needs help, send a financial gift to a worthy organization, offer words of encouragement; anything to make the world we live in a little bit better.    

Happy New Year!     

No comments:

Post a Comment