Friday, June 22, 2018

Bully Civil War Era Photograph


I know I'm long overdue for a post. This will have to serve as a place-filler for now. While reading a newly published book on Civil War combat, I came across this image from the Library of Congress's Liljenquist Family Collection and thought it was just too good not to share.

Unfortunately, the subject of this photograph is unknown. However, I was stuck by the number of weapons he displays; several of which may be this particular photographer's studio props.

He holds what looks to me from the rear sight to be an Enfield rifle musket (although the photo description calls it a Springfield), two Remington revolvers in this belt, and another in his hand. I'm not sure how he has the two knives balanced to show on his chest, but there they are.

Displaying so many weapons, even if they are not actually this soldier's, has to say something about this earnest intent to deal out death to the enemy in his role as a soldier. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment