Tuesday, May 10, 2011

CW 150 at History.com

The more I see the less I like the programming on History (formerly the History Channel). With shows like Ice Road Truckers and Swamp People, which have almost nothing to do with History per say, I have little reason to spend time on channel 46 of my basic expanded cable.

However, History has somewhat redeemed themselves in my eyes. Last week a teacher on our educator advisory board for the Kentucky Historical Society sent me a link that I had not previously seen on History.com (History's web presence).

This website's designers have developed an excellent and interactive tool that I think both experts and novices, the young or the old, can learn from and enjoy.

On the homepage there are seven choices to learn about; Who They (soldiers) Were, Weapons of War, How They Died, 5 Deadliest Battles, Paying for the War, West Point Warriors, and Civil War topics, which offers another six sets of choices; Technology, Union, Confederate, Battles, Places/Events, and Culture. In these "topics" a number of options are available. For example, in Place/Events topics from Andersonville to West Virginia Statehood are covered; while in Culture, topics from Black Codes to Uncle Tom's Cabin are examined.

Take a few minutes to check it out at the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment