Thursday, May 21, 2009

To Commemorate, Not Celebrate Memorial Day

This week I have heard many people discussing their Memorial Day plans. One struck me as odd. I don't think they realized what they had said and I didn't call them, but it went something like this: "I plan to celebrate Memorial Day by doing nothing." I guess in one sense that is fine. Holidays are created to rest from work. But, I think Memorial Day is different. It is special. It is a time to remember those that have left us here on earth, especially those that have served their country in the armed forces. That is the first problem I had with that person's statement. The second issue I had was that they used the word celebrate. I know, it's probably not fair to complain, but to me celebrate is just entirely the wrong word for Memorial Day. I think a much better word choice would be commemorate.

Please don't just "do nothing" on Memorial Day. Use the time to visit a cemetery, remember past loved ones, or learn something about our service men and women who sacrifice so much to keep us free.

No comments:

Post a Comment